Sunday, January 29, 2012

Teeth!

Little Emma is getting her first teeth! I can't believe teeth are happening already, but I guess that's how the rest of her life is going to go. I will keep saying, "I can't believe she's crawling, I can't believe she's walking, I can't believe she's starting her first day of school", I can't believe, I can't believe...


And while all these milestones are hitting fast and furiously, I also can't believe my own excitement as I eagerly anticipate the next big thing. On Friday I bought rice cereal and a few pureed veggies for her to start trying in the upcoming weeks. I am so excited that she has this brand new life that is so perfect right now. She has perfect baby hair and baby skin. She eats only what she needs and gets enough sleep. She's not been tainted by the need to look a certain way, or to overindulge in a night of Mexican food binge eating (me last night). So while I am so excited to have her try new things, I also am sad that she won't have this perfectly functioning baby body much longer. Soon enough she will prefer hot dogs & cookies over brown rice cereal and sweet pea puree. I can only hope that by making the right choices for her now, she will follow my lead and begin to learn to make the right choices independently. There will be bumps & mistakes made along the way, but in all this I need to remember that this is her life. Her choices. I think that is the hardest realization of motherhood.

So with teeth, comes the next chapter. Discovery, independence & nourishment. I can't wait to see what her favorite foods are, I feel like this is the first look into who Emma is.


No comments:

Post a Comment